Friday, September 24, 2010

Just what the dr. ordered...

I've always been a person that takes her relationships very seriously and not seriously like, no fun...serious in the sense of importance.  I'm that person that once I make a friend, I never let them go.  Even if I don't talk to them everyday, every week or even every year for that matter I'll find a way to get in touch and make sure life is treating them well.  But I do have the friends that have grown to be the foundation of my being (aside from my family of course).  And let's not get too crazy and say the friendships have all been perfect because for one we were at one time girls turned into teenage girls turned into twenties girls turned into women.  That's a whole lot of hormonal, emotional, sometimes drunken moments that at times you may wish you could take back, but realize it's something one day might be funny or in some way just added another brick to the strong foundation in which the friendship sits on today.  I love my girls, yes we've had our fights, our misunderstandings, our stupid immature moments over petty things but it really in NO WAY compares to the laughs, the smiles, the girly chats, the dinners, the dance parties, the singing at the top of our lungs in the car moments, nor the hysterical moments that I can think about on the worst day and still crack up at just to pick me up for even a minute. These friendships have evolved from a classmate into an acquaintance, into that first advice given or asked for, into roommate, into best friend, into bridesmaid and now into an "aunt".  It's really quite amazing isn't it?  How you can meet a total stranger at any stage in life and grow to love them as if you were actually sisters.

 I went to dinner last night to celebrate one of my best friends' birthday and as I looked around the table (and don't worry I was enjoying my wine and not simply just analyzing life) I just felt this overwhelming sense of calm.  The conversations were all going at once because you know us women are like a bunch of cackling chickens...but the smiles on all of my friends faces suddenly made all the troublesome things just disappear.  All of them are growing in so many different ways and when I look back at when I first met each one of them, I never in a million years thought I would have stood up to represent them at their weddings, or one day watch them become moms or even be there to help them celebrate their 29th birthday.  But I am here, and I have watched some of them look as beautiful as beautiful can be as they marry the loves of their lives, and I am here to see that motherly glow on their face and here I am toasting to the 29th birthday of another one.



Friendship is there when nothing else is, it picks you up when you fall and very often may catch you even before you have the chance to actually fall...it makes you laugh so hard it hurts, it's there for the BIGGEST moments and it's there to make the little moments big ones...it's there before you even ask it to be. 

I've been on big ships, I've been on little ships....but the best ship I've been on by far is friendship.





2 comments:

  1. Umm, for real. Making me cry. Geez. That was awesome to read, sister! I love you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy tears I hope, love you my sister <3

    ReplyDelete