Thursday, September 23, 2010

NOW NOW NOW...


So my instant messenger pops up from a friend asking me for my opinion saying she wanted an "outsider's" perspective on a situation, which I had to chuckle at because how "outside" or unbiased can a friends opinion TRULY be? So I told her ok, tell me what happened in the MOST unbiased version you could tell.  As she started to tell me what the argument her and her new boy toy have been having I quickly had that De Ja Vu feeling...I have heard this before or I went through the same thing????  Ah yes. I was definitely relating to her situation AND about a month ago I had another friend come to me with the same issue.   "He doesn't text me back!!!!!"
Is it simply that all guys met one day and said, "You know what? Let's not do this texting thing and drive girls crazy," or is it that we simply have allowed these electronic devices to spoil us to the point that we drive ourselves crazy when that instant gratification is not met within oh 2 seconds; which by the way is a perfectly acceptable amount of time to return a text because it only takes that amount of time to reply right? 
Well, so she ranted about the times this has happened and I thought the story was done at least 3 times, trying to respond with what I thought she wanted....my advice hahaha.  Silly me though, I'm a girl too so I should have realized it's story time with added in frustrated angry venting comments here and there then, she finally threw in her last angry comment and said, "THE END!" I boiled it down the best way I could, gave her the best advice I could; although let's be honest I'm not exactly the queen of successful relationships here but I was flattered all the same that she came to me. I'll be curious to see what comes of the "talk" with mr. not technology friendly.
But I ended the whole thing with the idea in my head that took me back to my high school years, when you liked someone you wrote a note and gave it to them as you passed them between classes.  And if they wrote you back, it was usually a pretty good indicator they felt the same way you did.  That's when human contact was still part of the process...you had to wait it out for as long as that person took to write you back or at least an hour until you passed them again in the hallways. I had patience in high school especially when I was grounded and good old mom and dad took the most important thing they could away from a teenage girl....the phone.  Text messaging didn't exist then...so there was the anticipation of going to school the next day to see that one boy that made your heart flutter after not talking or hearing from him for a good 15 hours????  Can you imagine now? We flip out when that boy that makes our heart flutter and our stomach flip doesn't contact us for 5 minutes, nevertheless for 15 hours.  There are no excuses, no reasons, no explanations really....because with all the communication outlets these poor guys can run but they can't hide ha ha.  
So maybe once in awhile throw your loved one a good old hand written note...maybe he will surprise you and check the YES box <3

2 comments: